Tuesday 19 June 2007

Where is Jesus?

The NT makes clear that Jesus is exalted in heaven, at the right hand of the Father. This is the whole point of the ascension. On the other hand, Jesus is in me by the Holy Spirit. He dwells in me as a living temple. Now this two-fold perspective is very important. On the one hand Jesus is outside of me, exalted, reigning above every power and supreme. On the other hand, He communicates Himself to me, dwells with me and imparts all His benefits to me. If we rupture that two-fold perspective we will end up with a wrong view of Jesus - Lord but not Pastor or Pastor but not Lord. We need both - Someone who I can worship and fall down before and Someone who will lead me beside quiet waters and restore my soul. I need Jesus outside of me and Jesus inside of me.