Saturday 29 September 2007

The glory of the cross

"It was because the Son of God, supremely glorious in His matchless person, undertook to vindicate the law by bearing the sentence due to me, that therefore God is able to pass by my sin. The law of God was more vindicated by the death of Christ than it would have been had all transgressors been sent to Hell. For the Son of God to suffer for sin was a more glorious establishment of the government of God, than for the whole race to suffer." (Spurgeon)

No, not the love without the blood
That were to me no love at all
It could not reach my sinful soul
Nor hush the fears which me appal

The love I need is righteous love
Inscribed on the sin-bearing tree
Love that exacts the sinner’s debt
Yet, in exacting, sets him free

(Horatius Bonar)

"God weeps with us so that we may someday laugh with him." (Jurgen Moltmann)