Friday 9 March 2007

What is the worst thing about sin?

It struck me this week that sin is a double attack on our God. Firstly, and most obviously, it is an attack on Him as our Creator. It is fundamentally a rejection of Him, a turning away to idols and making myself into Lord. Secondly, though, and this is the thing that really hit me, sin is always sin against the cross. Every sin says to Jesus "I don't care what you have done, I don't want to know, I would rather have my little pleasure now". This is the sin that Christians commit most deeply and most consciously. We may call Him Saviour, but when we sin, we reject the blood of Jesus, we reject His death to rescue us from sin. We count his death as nothing. And I have to say, this brings tears to my eyes. To think that I could sin there, against Him as he dies for me. To think that I could be indifferent to His love, even hate His interference there. To sin against grace must be the most wicked thing possible. So, we can see, that all of us were in spirit part of that mob abusing Jesus as He died, we were the disciples denying Him and running away. Our sin mocks Jesus on the cross.

Today I know that I need a Saviour. And today I know my need to make the cross THE centre of my life.